Worship Commission (Formerly Art & Environment) – Monday, March 11, 2019
Below is a timeline for each activity in preparation for Lent, Palm Sunday, Holy Week and Easter Vigil.
TO BE DONE NOW:
• Find out when palms will arrive – Melanie
• See if we have candles and champagne cups for Easter Vigil – Melanie
• Begin collecting empty whipped topping, sour cream and butter dishes –
• Look for and purchase 10” white round Styrofoam for palm containers – Beth
• Purchase huge palm trees if offered at roadside vendor – Ken and Beth
• Purchase fabric and sew covers for statues of Mary and St. Theresa – Beth
• Sew fabric for risen Jesus statue – Judy
• Verify that we can have access to conference room/cry room from Friday,
April 19 through Saturday, April 20
to store flowers – Melanie
• Ask Fr. Zach if he will be setting up chairs, pitcher and bowl and towels for foot washing – Melanie
• Ask Brian Lankford to assist with hanging Risen Jesus quilt on Saturday morning – Judy
SATURDAY, APRIL 6, 9:00 AM – Commission members
• Remove angels from beside the tabernacle and place on small folding table in church furnace room.
• Move statues of St. Joseph and Mary to the window area on the altar platform.
• Hang purple banner over crucifix on wall.
• Remove Madonna statue from post by Baptismal font.
• Cover large risen Jesus statue on wall, Mary and St. Theresa statues.
WEEK OF APRIL 8 THROUGH APRIL 12 – Judy and Beth
• Put decorative palms in ice water to fan out.
• Remove palms from ice water, pin to stabilize and dry.
SATURDAY, APRIL 13, 9:00 AM – Commission members
• Set palms on tables next to tabernacle; place palm arrangements on altar platform.
• Change banners from purple to red.
• Set up table for palms in narthex.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 17, AFTER CHOIR PRACTICE – Ken, Beth and Melanie
• Change banners from red to white.
• Remove palm arrangements (or ask Melanie to remove earlier if appearance deteriorates.)
THURSDAY, APRIL 18, AFTER HOLY THURSDAY SERVICE – Commission members
• Change banners back to red.
• Get crucifix out of storage and place in confessional.
• Put red cloth with small rings sewn to fabric that covers crucifix in confessional.
• Drape red cloth over cross at Baptismal font.
FRIDAY, APRIL 19, 8:00 AM – Commission members
• Bring empty whipped topping, sour cream and butter dishes to be used as fillers.
• Arrange pots of flowers into larger containers, cover with Spanish moss.
SATURDAY, APRIL 20, 9:00 AM – Commission members
• Change banners to white; hang gold rising sun banner over tabernacle.
• Hang Risen Jesus quilt by Baptismal font.
• Uncover statues, move angels and other statues back out.
• Remove purple cross banners in Narthex; replace with Easter swags.
• Hang Easter wreath behind ambo.
• Set out flower arrangements.
• Place lamb figures and Good Shepherd picture at Baptismal font.
• Set out table for candles and holders; set out candles and holders.
Respectfully submitted by: Melanie Baker
Worship Commission (Formerly Art & Environment) – Saturday, January 26, 2019
Members present: Sue Edwards, Judy Miller, Ken and Beth Schenk, Mel Vinson
Members absent: Jim Edwards, Ken Balczo, Joann Hussmann
Clean Up Storage Area – We cleaned out and reorganized the upstairs storage area, loading
up a truckload of obsolete items to be donated to charity. We viewed the new storage area
being constructed in the confessional room under the stairs to decide what items would be
stored there upon its completion.
New Advent Wreath – The Advent wreath had deteriorated so much that we decided to donate
it to charity. We will need to order a new wreath with the same dimensions (32 inches diameter
of inside wire; 60 inches overall width of entire wreath including greenery) before next Advent.
We also decided to redo the Christmas swags that are used on the pillars in the Narthex.
Ash Wednesday Decorations – We will set up the cross display at the Baptismal font like last
year, complete with ashes, crown of thorns, hammer and nails. Ken Schenk sent pictures of
last year’s Lent and Easter decorations so that Mel Vinson can print them for reference. The
banners behind the altar will be changed from green to purple. We will set up for Ash
Wednesday on Tuesday, March 5 at 6:00 PM at the conclusion of the 5:30 PM mass.
Lent and Palm Sunday Decorations – Using last year’s notes, the following schedule should
be followed for setting up decorations: On the fifth Sunday of Lent, all statues, icons and
crucifixes must be removed or covered and remain so until Holy Saturday Vigil Mass. The
Worship Commission will need to do this on Saturday, April 6 at 9:00 AM. For Palm Sunday,
the purple banners will be changed out to red and the palm arrangements will need to be set up.
Sarah has already placed the order for the palms, ordering the same as last year. Sometime
during the week before Palm Sunday, the fanned palms will need to be placed in ice water and
pinned open before drying. Members of the commission will need to come on Saturday, April
13 at 9:00 AM to set up.
Holy Week Decorations – Based on last year’s notes, the following schedule should be
followed: On Holy Thursday, the banners will need to be changed from red to white, which can
be done by a few volunteers on Wednesday, April 17 before or after choir practice. After the
Holy Thursday service on Thursday, April 18, members of the Worship Commission will need to
stay and set up for Good Friday. The banners will need to be changed back to red.
Easter Decorations – The Easter decorations will be similar to last year. The “Risen Jesus”
banner will go above the Baptismal font. We decided not to use the large round black tubs used
for Easter flowers this year due to the large size. Judy made note of which flowers worked well
last year so that we can order them again this year. More discussion to follow as the date
approaches. We will need to place the live flowers in the pots on Friday morning, April 19. All
help is needed on Saturday, April 20 at 9:00 AM to set up for Easter.
Next Meeting – We need to meet with Melanie Baker, the new Worship Director to include her in the
decision making of the commission. We set a tentative date of Monday, March 11 in the evening,
depending on her availability.
Respectfully submitted by: Beth Schenk